To whom it may help in the future:
solution to: " download started --- Emergency @ USB, Bootblock Version: a950_bb:YK24.3 " error that can appear on Verizon Samsung A950 phones
3 months ago, my phone was caught in a downpour and after it dried out, this is the message I got. My phone was completely unresponsive, and would turn off only if I took out the battery. Verizon says that the phone is damaged, I need to buy a new one for $50. They're less than helpful because of that little dot behind the battery that turns purple when it gets wet. They say that they can't flash the firmware to fix it. But I know I've been able to get it to turn on into the normal screen before. I know it can still work.
Here is the way to get around this apparent 'bricking' of your phone.
You'll find that any time this error message, a950_bb:YK24.3, appears, you can only get the phone to turn off by disconnecting all power to it. Upon reconnecting power, you'll be met with the same, depressing message.
But wait, what if you hold buttons? I've found that holding 8, 6, 9, or the speakerphone button miraculously allow for my phone to start up! Unfortunately you'll find your happiness rained upon by the fact that your buttons are all screwed up and dont register what they're labeled as. Have we met the end of the road?
Fear not. Patience will bring the answer. Simply close your phone and let it be for a few minutes. Lets say 2-10 minutes, though I havent really timed myself. The next time you open it, you'll find all the buttons yield the right stuff on your screen. Your phone functions completely normally!
You'll find this doesn't "solve" the problem persay. You'll continue to have this come up from time to time (I find it is more likely to happen when my battery is low). But this method does bypass the problem, allowing you to use your phone until you can exchange it for something else. I've been using this method for 3 months now, and in another month, I'll get a free exchange. It's not very hard to do, there's nothing truly wrong with my phone, and I save $50. Documentation on this error is very limited, but since I seem to have found a solution, I am posting it for the good of some other poor bloke out there who someday, may stumble upon my path and save $50 as well.
For anyone who may be wondering, I am still using the same phone that was referred to in the above post. In the subsequent weeks after the damage, the phone's error message appeared less and less frequently, until it eventually stopped malfunctioning at all. My guess is that it might be related to residual water in the circuits in the phone finally drying out, but my phone has continued to function flawlessly ever since. Those who don't have the patience for the error may want to exchange their phones, but for those who are willing to wait it seems the problem will eventually go away, saving you a nice chunk of change.
I'm glad to see from the comments that my post is helping people out there, and know that I do receive email notices when comments are posted, so if you have further questions and are willing to check back I most likely will respond.
|comments: Leave a comment|